The King of Stories -- Through the Shadows of Death

Introductory note from Jason Pratt: see here for the previous entry; and see here for the first entry of the series. (It explains what I'm doing, and how, and contains the Johannine prologue.)


Through the Shadows of Death (the night before the end...)

Now Jesus said to them (tells the Scholar, probably meaning as they were preparing to leave the Upper Room), "When I sent you out without a purse and bag and shoes, you did not lack anything, did you?"

And they said, "Nothing." (Or possibly, 'Yet they say nothing...')

And He said to them, "But now, let him who has a purse go get it; likewise a bag as well; and whoever doesn't have one, let him sell his cloak and buy a sword!

"For I tell you: this, which is written (in Isaiah), must be fulfilled in Me: 'And with rebels He is numbered.' For this concerning Me is also having its fulfillment."

And they said, "Master, look! Here are two swords!"

And He said to them, "... it is enough."


.......

And after singing a hymn (tell the Follower and the Disciple), they went out, toward the Mount of Olives.

[Plotnote: Possibly followed, not too distantly, by a certain Follower--whose mother's house was later well-regarded by apostles as a special place to safely go when there was trouble...]


.......

(Jesus continues after they leave the room, as the Evangelist tells...)

"I am the true Grapevine, and My Father is the Farmer.

"Every branch bringing forth no fruit in Me, He is taking it away; but--every one that brings forth fruit... He is cleansing it (literally 'cauterizing it'), that it may bring more fruit!

"You are clean already, for the word which I have spoken to you. Remain in Me. I am in you also. In the way the branch cannot be bringing forth fruit of itself, if it is not remaining in the grapevine--neither you, thus, if ever you should be not remaining in Me.

"I am the Grapevine. You are the branches. Whoever remains in Me, and I in him, this one bears much fruit--for apart from Me, you cannot do anything.

"Whoever is not remaining in Me...

"--he was cast out as a branch... and it withered.

"And they are gathering them, and they are casting them into the fire... and they are being burned...

"If ever you should be remaining in Me, and should My declarations remain in you, whatever you should be wanting, ask, and it will be occurring to you. My Father is glorified in this, so that you may be bringing forth much fruit, and you shall be becoming My disciples.

"Just as the Father loves Me, I love you, too. Remain in My love. If ever you should be keeping my commands, you will be remaining in My love--just as I have kept the command of My Father and am remaining in His love.

"These things I have told you, so that My joy should be staying in you, and your joy may be filled!

"This (again) is My command: that you be loving one another, just as I love you. No greater love has anyone than this: that any may be laying down his soul, for his friends. You are My friends--if you will do whatever I am directing you.

"No longer do I call you 'slaves'; for the slave is not aware of what his master does. But I declared you friends, for all whatever I am hearing from My Father, I make known to you! Not that you choose Me, but I choose you, and I appoint you, that you may be going far and bringing forth much fruit! And your fruit may be remaining, so that anything whatever you should be requesting of the Father--in My name (i.e. 'the Lord God saves')--He will give it to you!

"In these things I am directing you: that you must be loving one another.

"If the world is hating you, know that it has hated Me before you.

"If you were from the world, the world would be fond of its own. But, because you are not from the world--yet I am choosing you from the world!--this is why the world is hating you.

"Recall the word I said to you: 'No slave is greater than his master'. If they are attacking Me, they will also be attacking you. If they keep My word, yours they also will be keeping. But because of My name ('the Lord is salvation'), they will do all sorts of things to you, because they do not know the One Who sends Me.

"If I hadn't come Myself and spoken to them, they would not be guilty; but now they cannot (even) be pretending (to themselves) about their sin. He who hates Me, hates My Father also.

"If I hadn't done the works among them, which nobody else can do, they would not be guilty; but now they also (even) see, yet they have hated Me--My Father also. But this is so the word, written in their law (the Psalms), may be filled: 'They hate Me (just like David) without cause'!

"Now: when the Comforter may come--the Spirit of the Truth which goes out from the Father, which I will be sending to you from the Father--It will testify concerning Me. But, you are also testifying, seeing that you have been with Me from the start!

"I have said these things to you, that you may not be snared: for they will put you from the synagogues; and the time is coming when the people who are killing you will be supposing they are serving God the way they should. Yet, they will do these things to you, because they do not know the Father, nor yet Me. But I tell you of these things, so that whenever this time may be coming, you may be recalling them, seeing that I told you.

"Now, I have not been telling you from the start about these things; because I have been with you. But now... I am going far, toward the One Who sends Me... and not one of you is asking Me, 'Wherever are you going?' Yet because I said these things to you, grief has filled your heart.

"But I am telling you the truth!--it is better for you that I may be leaving, for if I should not be leaving, then the Comforter will not be coming toward you. Yet if I should be gone, I will send Him to you.

"Now, coming, that (One) will be uncovering (or revealing for) the world concerning sin and fair-togetherness and judgment: concerning sin, indeed, because they are not trusting in Me; and concerning fair-togetherness, because I leave toward My Father and no longer do you see Me; and concerning judgment, for the chief (or even the Chief!) of this world has been judged.

"I still have much to say to you... but you cannot bear it now. Yet, whenever that (One) may come--the Spirit of the Truth--It will guide you into all the truth, for It will not be speaking from It's own authority, but whatever It should hear It will be speaking... and It will be informing you of what is coming!

"That (One) will be glorifying Me; because of Mine It will be getting, and informing you.

"All the Father has is Mine, whatever. Thus I told you: that of Mine, It is getting, and will be informing you.

"A little, and no longer, are you seeing Me. But, again a little, and you shall be seeing Me."



Some of His disciples, then, said to one another: "What is this he is saying to us?? 'A little and no longer are you seeing me, but again a little and you shall be seeing me...' And 'I am leaving toward the Father'?!"

So they said, "What is this 'little' he is saying?? We haven't a clue what he is talking of!"


Jesus, then, knew they wanted to be asking Him; and He said to them:

"Are you searching one another about what I have said: 'A little, and no longer, are you seeing Me. But again a little, and you shall be seeing Me'?

"I promise, I promise, I tell you the truth: you shall be wailing and grieving, yet the world will be rejoicing... and you shall be sorrowed...

"But: your sorrow shall be turning into joy!!

"A woman, when she may be bringing forth, is having sorrow, for her time has come; yet whenever she will bear the little child, no longer is she even thinking of the pain, for the joy a human has been born into the world!

"You then also now, indeed, will have such sorrow; but, I will be seeing you again--and then your heart shall be rejoicing!

"And no one will be taking your joy from you!!

"And in that day, you will not need to ask Me anything.

"I promise, I promise, I tell you the truth: whatever you should ask the Father, He will be giving it to you--in My name ('the Lord God saves'). Before now you have not been asking for any in My name. Ask, and you shall be getting, that your joy may be complete!

"These things I have told you using proverbs. The time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in proverbs, but with boldness shall I be reporting to you of the Father! In that day, you will be requesting in My name--and I am not telling you that I shall be asking the Father concerning you! (As if the Father had no concern for them, but Jesus did.) For the Father is fond of you, seeing that you are fond of Me and have believed that I came out from God. I came out from the Father and have come into the world; I am leaving the world and going toward the Father again."


His disciples are saying to Him: "Look! Now you are speaking directly, and not one proverb are you telling!"

"Now we know that you are aware of everything, and none of us need to ask you anything."

"By this (knowing what they spoke among themselves before they even asked Him) are we believing you have come from God!"


Jesus answered them:

"...now you believe...?

"Behold!! The hour is coming, and even has come, that you shall be scattered, each into his own!!

"And you will be abandoning Me! (all the storytellers join the Evangelist now in harmony.) You all will stumble, falling away because of Me, this very night!!--for it is written (in Zechariah the prophet),

"'I will strike down the Shepherd
and the sheep will be scattered!'"


"...Yet--I am not alone; for the Father is with Me!

"And after I have been raised up, I will go before you into Galilee."



Now Peter said to Him: "Even if all may stumble, nevertheless I will not!"

But the Lord said, "Simon, Simon...

"...see here; Satan has asked, and has been granted, to sift you like the wheat.

"But I have prayed for you, that your faith may not be failing. And you, when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."

Now he said to Him, "Master! I am ready to go to jail and even to death with you!"

But Jesus strongly declared to him: "Truly I tell you, Peter--the rooster absolutely will not crow the second time today, this night, before you have three times denied you even know Me!!"

[Plotnote: roosters often are in the habit of crowing twice a night, once around midnight, and again before the sunrise.]


Yet Peter continued extravagantly declaring: "Even if I must die together with you, I absolutely shall not be denying you!!"

And all the others did, as well.


(The Evangelist says that Jesus said,) "I have told these things to you, that in Me you may be at peace! In the world, you have affliction!

"But--take heart!

"I have conquered the world."



Jesus says these things (the Evangelist tells), and lifting up His eyes into the heaven, He said:

"Beloved Father, the hour has come! Glorify Your Son, so that Your Son should glorify You!

"Just as You gave Him authority over all flesh, everything which You have given to Him, He should give it all to them--even God's own life!

"And it is God's own life, that they may know You--the true and only God!"

And Him Whom You do send commissioned, Jesus Christ! (adds the Evangelist, in exultation.)

[Footnote: or possibly, "And Him Whom You do send commissioned: the Anointed King, God's Salvation." If Jesus said this originally, it probably would be something more like this. The current form in the text, though, is as a proper name, and Jesus never refers to Himself in such a way elsewhere; thus most likely this is not a word of Jesus. The previous sentence might be a joyous comment by the Evangelist as well.]

"I glorify You on the earth--finishing the work which You have given Me that I should do!

"And Father, now You glorify Me, with Yourself--the glory which I had before the world is with You!

"I proclaim Your name, to the people whom You gave Me from the world! They were Yours, and to Me You give them--and they have kept Your word!

"Now they know that absolutely everything You have given Me is from You; for the declarations You have given Me, I have given them--and they took, and truly know that I came out from You. Now they are believing that You send Me with the mission!

"In concern of them, I am asking--I do not ask about the world, but concerning these whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. And everything of Mine is Yours, and Yours Mine.

"Now in them, have I been glorified; but I am in the world no longer. Now they are in the world, yet I am coming toward You.

"Holy Father!--keep them in Your name, by which You gave them to Me and I guard them. And not even one out of them has perished!... except the son of the destruction, that the Scripture may be filled...

"Yet now I come to You; and I am saying these things in the world, that they may have My joy filled full within them!

"I have given them Your word. But, the world hates them, for they are not from the world, just as I am not from the world. I am not asking You to take them from the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one.

"They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Make them holy by Your Truth. Your Word is Truth.

"Just as You do send Me in toward the world, I send them into the world as well. And for their sakes, I set Myself apart, that they may also be made holy ('set apart') by the Truth.

"Yet, not only am I asking for their sakes, but also for the ones who are believing in Me, through their word: that they may all be one--just as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they may also be in Us, in order that the world should be believing that You do commission Me!

"Now I have given them the glory which You gave to Me; that they may be one--just as We are One, I in them, and You in Me, that they may be perfected into one;

"and so the world may know that You do send Me and do love them, just as You love Me!

"Beloved Father! I intend, that where I am, the ones whom You have given Me may also be with Me; that they may see My glory which You gave Me--for You love Me from before the world's explosive downpouring!!

[Note: from the world's "disruption", using as analogy a term that biologically refers to the release of seed in joyful creation.]

"Fair Father, the world also knew You not, but I knew You. And these know that You do send Me with Your mission.

"Now I make known to them Your name; and I shall make it known, that the love with which You love Me may be in them--

"and I, in them."


.......

Jesus says these things (reports the Evangelist), as He came out (of Jerusalem) with His disciples, across the Kedron (valley) winter brook

(and through the Kedron valley tombs)

where there was a garden

which He entered...


Matthew 26:30-35
Mark 14:26-31
Luke 22:31-38
John 13:37b-38
John 15:1-25
John 16:1-33
John 17:1-26
John 18:1

[Next time: The End Begins]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Children in Bethlehem Did Herod Kill?

Where did Jesus say "It is better to give than receive?"

The Bogus Gandhi Quote

A Non-Biblical Historian Accepts the Key "Minimum Facts" Supporting Jesus' Resurrection

Exodus 22:18 - Are Followers of God to Kill Witches?

Discussing Embryonic Stem Cell Research

Jewish writings and a change in the Temple at the time of the Death of Jesus

Revamping and New Articles at the CADRE Site

Asherah: Not God's Wife

A Botched Abortion Shows the Lies of Pro-Choice Proponents